The soup is sour and spicy and provides the main flavours, the omelette adds the bulk to the meal. It's not at all unusual to eat combination dishes like omelette in soup in Thailand, and if you've ever had a dry omelette this dish makes a pleasant change! This dish is normally served with rice as a shared side dish. Guests take some of the soup and omelette and spoon it onto their rice.
Ingredients for 2 People
3 Bird Chillies
10 gms Chopped Coriander Leaves
10 gms Chopped Spring Onion
1 Teaspoons Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
2-3 Tablespoons Sour Curry Paste
300 ml Water
50 ml Tamarind Water
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
4 Sliced Chinese Radish
20 gms Shrimp
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1. Boil the water with the sour curry paste and tamarind water.
2. Clean the shrimp and add to the boiling soup water.
3. Add the sliced radish, the sugar and fish sauce into the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. This is the soup part.
4. Whip the eggs, add the onion, chopped coriander, salt and pepper until mixed together.
5. Fry this omelette mix over a medium heat until cooked.
6. Cut the omelette into 4cm squares. When you serve the soup place the squares into the center of the plate and pour the soup over them.
Hot Thai Fragrant Rice