This egg soup is a traditional dish from the Isan province. The main part is egg, but the taste is of spicy fish sauce. This is peasant food, a cheap dish eaten by farmers and labourers, rather than a show dish.
5 Bird Chillies
2 Tablespoons Chopped Lemon Grass
5 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Chopped Dill
300 ml Water
Pickled Bamboo Slices (Optional)
1. Pound the chillies with the chopped lemon grass until well pulped.
2. Into a saucepan, place the water, and the pounded chilli mix and bring to the boil.
3. Add the fish sauce, salt and sugar.
4. Mix the eggs to break up the yolk and white. Then add to the saucepan.
5. Add the lemon juice, and optional pickled bamboo, and cook for 1 minute.
6. Garnish with chopped dill, chopped spring onions and chopped coriander leaves.
Hot Steamed Sticky Rice