This pork bone soup or stew is served with rice as a side dish. In Thailand, a large shared bowl of the soup is placed in the centre of the table and each person spoons out some potato, meat and soup onto their rice. You can also add a little flaked dry chilli when cooked to spice it up if you wish. The radish used in this soup is the large Chinese white radish (Daikon, Lo Bak) not the smaller salad radishes. If you can't obtain it, use swede or turnip instead.
Ingredient For 4 people
500 gms Pork Rib
200 gms Potatoes
180 ml Water
1 Pork Stock Cube
4 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
5 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Pepper Corns
50 gms Large White Radish
20 gms Coriander Sprigs
20 gms Spring Onions
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
1. Boil the water with the stock cube in the soup pan.
2. Pound the garlic and pepper corns, in a Thai mortar and add to the pan.
3. Add light soy sauce, the sugar, salt, and slice the radish and add to the pan.
4. Chop the pork bone into small pieces.
5. When the soup is boiling, add the pork bone and cooking for one and a half hours.
6. Chop the Potatoes into bite sized pieces and add into the soup.
7. Simmer for an extra 30 minutes.
8. When serving, chop the spring onion and coriander leaves finely and sprinkle over the soup. Also add a dash of ground white pepper to the top.