This soup is suitable for vegetarians, yet it has all the food groups. The protein comes from tofu, the carbohydrate from noodles and the flavour from shitake mushrooms. It does not contain chilli, so this is one of the few Thai dishes suitable for children.
Ingredients for 2 people
1 Packet (100gms) of Tofu
1 Small Packet of Glass Nooddle
100 gms. fresh soya bean shoots
5 Fresh Shitake Mushroom
1 Chicken Stock Cube (Or Vegetable stock cube for vegetarian)
1 Ltr. Water
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon of Sugar
A Pinch White Pepper
If using dried shitake mushrooms, soak then for 12 hours to soften them.
1. Put the water and chicken stock cube in pan and boil it.
2. Take only 1/2 of the packet of glass nooddle and soak it in the plain cold water for 5 minutes to soften them.
3. Clean the vegetables and tofu and peel and chop the ingredients into bit sized pieces.
4. When the water is boiling add the tofu, carrots, glass noodles and shitake mushroom to the pan and simmer.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes until the carrots and mushrooms are cooked through. Remove from the heat
6. Add the light soya sauce and sugar.
7. Serve in a bowl with the soya bean shoots and a little pepper.