I showed Bi Tua leaves in todays other article, here is a typical recipe of seasoned chicken, wrapped in bi tua leaves, deep fried and served with a dipping sauce. The leaves give the chicken a subtle tangy taste, but the dominant flavours come from the dipping sauce.
10-15 Bi Tua Leaves
150 gms Chicken Breast
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon White Wine
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Clean and chop the chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
2. Pound the garlic and black peppercorns together and mix in with the chopped chicken, add all the other ingredients and mix together.
3. Marinade in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. Take the Bi Tua leaves, and wrap a piece of chicken in a length of leaf. You can see from the following photographs how I do this, I wrap the chicken forming a triangle, I cut the leaf to length and tuck it into the parcel to hold it.
5. If the parcels are not tight they can come apart during frying, so you can put a wooden toothpick through the parcel to hold it if necessary.
6. Deep fry in 170 degree celsius oil for 10 minutes.
7. Serve with the following dark soy sauce.
Ingredients Dark Soy Sauce
100 ml Water
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
Preparation for Sauce
1. Boil the water & sugar in a saucepan until the water has reduced and starts to thicken. Leave to cool.
2. Add in all the other ingredients and mix.