If you like food that's a bit of a challenge then this is for you. These are steamed pancakes, with a pancake mix containing sweet potato, filled with a pork, onion and beansprout filling. It's quite a challenge because the pancake is softened by the sweet potato and the fillings tend to poke holes in it, unless you are very very careful. The best way to make this dish is with a Thai steamer. Tie a clean cloth over the top of the steamer and make the pancake on the surface as shown in this photograph:
150 gms Rice Flour
2 Tablespoons Cassava Starch
400 ml Water
40 gms Sweet Potato
50 gms Pork Mince
2 Tablespoons Chopped Coriander
1 Tablespoon Chopped Spring Onion
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
40 gms Soya Beansprouts
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
3 Tablespoons Oil
White Cloth To Fit Over Steampan
String for Tying
1. Steam the sweet potato to precook it.
2. Mix the pork mince with the garlic, salt, light soy sauce, spring onion, beansprouts and coriander then fry with oil until the pork is cooked.
3. Mix the flour & starch together with the water, add the sweet potato and blend until smooth. If you have a hand blender this is easier, you want the sweet potato completely blended into the mix.
4. Put water into the steaming pan, cover the lid with the cloth and tie it tightly over the top with the string. Put the pan onto to heat. Be careful not to burn the cloth, if the cloth is getting hot, you can spray water on it.
5. Ladle some of the pancake mixture onto the cloth and spread it out into a circle.
6. Put a lid over it and let it steam for a minute.
7. Spoon some of the mince mixture into the centre.
8. Using a metal spatula carefully (very carefully!) lift the edges of the pancake and fold them over the mixture.
9. Then place it on a serving plate with sweet sauce, mint and chillies.
Ingredients for Sweet Sauce
50 ml Water
4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Dried Flaked Chillies
3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Crushed or Chopped Toasted Peanuts
1 Teaspoon Chopped Coriander Leaves
1. Boil the brown sugar with water until sugar dissolves.
2. Add the fish sauce, flaked chillies, crunshed peanut and cook for 1 minute.
3. Leave it to cool, then add the lemon juice, and chopped coriander leaves.