This dish has scooped out cucumber, stuffed with vegetables and mince. More frequently made with bitter melon, I do not like the taste of the bitter melon and prefer this version. We eat this as a side dish with sweet chilli sauce, or together with rice to make a complete meal. The inside of the cucumber isn't wasted either; we chop that up and serve it as a side salad.
Ingredients for 2 People
1 Long Green Cucumber
50 gms Pork Mince
30 gms Shrimp
20 gms Sweet Corn
1 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce or Maggi Sauce
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoons Black Pepper Corns
1. Mince the shrimp and mix with the pork mince.
2. Pound the garlic with the black pepper corns in a Thai mortar until finely ground.
3. Mix the meat with pounded garlic and pepper.
4. Add salt, soy sauce and the corn, and mix well.
5. Chop the cucumber into 2 cm lengths and scoop out the inside. Chop the scooped out cucumber and use it as a side salad.
6. Fill the hollowed out cucumber with the stuffing.
7. Place them in a Chinese steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
Chilli Sauce or Sweet Chilli sauce