Thai people love seafood and spices and this dish is typical of a spicy Thai seafood dish. Its a whole Squid or calamari and they're widely available in Thailand and always very fresh, usually it's fried or barbecued, but this dish is a different way of cooking it. The squid is stuffed with seasoned pork meat and steamed to cook it gently then served in a spicy soup.
Ingredients for 2 people
100 gms Pork Mince
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Large Whole Squid
Ingredients for Soup
1 Chicken stock cube
200 ml Water
50 gms Mixed Red and Green Chillis
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Sliced Thai Cabbage
Must be served warm
Preparation of Squid
1. Peel the garlic, put the pork mince and garlic together with the salt and pepper in a blender and blend it until the garlic is well mixed in.
2. Clean out the inside of the squid. Cut off the head and try to keep the body of the squid intact as a hollow tube.
3. Stuff the pork mince mix into the squid until its full.
4. Score cuts into the top of the squid - this will allow the steam to reach the meat to cook it.
5. Steam for 10 minutes.
Preparation for the Soup
6. Take a small pot pan, add water & the chicken stock cube and bring it to boil until the cube has dissolved.
7. Put the chillies in a blender and blend until they are fine pieces. If you prefer, you can cut them by hand, but they must be fine.
8. Add the chillis to the soup and remove the soup from the heat.
9. Place the steamed squid on a serving plate, squeeze the lemon juice over the top of the squid.
9. Pour the soup around the base of the squid, and place some of the chilli pulp on the top for show.
Ideally this should be served on a heated metal plate with candles heating the base of the dish.