These delicious dumplings are made with a sweet kidney bean filling. I used bottled kidney beans for this recipe. If you use fresh remember to boil them hard for 10 minutes to break down the natural toxin in the bean. In Thailand we often use beans in desserts, usually soya beans.
200 gms Wheat Flour
3 Tablespoons Yeast
150 ml Water
100 gms Cooked Kidney Beans
100 gms Sugar
Grease Proof Paper
1. Mash the kidney beans with the sugar, place in a sauce pan and cook over a low heat until the bean mash becomes thick, then leave to cool. This is your filling.
2. Sift the flour, this will add air to it.
3. In a cup, mix the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar and the water. This is to start the yeast, after a minute or so it will begin bubbling.
4. Add this yeast mix to the flour, mix it in and then knead the mix into a stiff flour dough.
5. Place in a bowl, covered with a damp cloth and leave for 30 minutes to let it rise.
6. Cut the dough into small lumps, approximately 15gms each.
7. Cut enough 3cms square pieces of grease proof paper so you have one piece per dough lump.
8. Flatten the dough in your hand, add a spoonful of filling, fold up the edges and place them seam-side down on a piece of grease proof paper.
9. Leave the mini-dumplings for a 10 minutes to rise again.
10. Steam for 5 minutes to cook.