Bamboo is used as a vegetable in Thailand, only the young ground shoots are eaten, the fully grown bamboo is strictly for panda bears! There are two main types of bamboo, plain bamboo and bitter bamboo. Plain bamboo in Thailand used to be boiled and eaten with spicy sauce containing plenty of chilli. The bitter bamboo they used to chop, and serve boiled with fried meat & chilli. You can also buy bamboo pickled. For this dish we will be using fried chicken with bamboo, similar to Chinese dishes, this is a favorite among westerners. This is a medium to hot dish, use fewer chillis if you prefer.
Ingredient 2 people
200 gms. Chicken Breast
100 gms. Can of Bamboo
5 Chillis (Mixed red/green)
3 Garlic Cloves
Half a Ginger Root Shoot (About 40 gms)
1 Spring Onion
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Tablespoons Oil
1. Clean the chicken and chop it into bite sized pieces.
2. Slice the bamboo, and spring onion, into fine pieces.
3. Chop the chilli and garlic into very small pieces.
4. Slice the ginger root into thin slices.
5. Put oil in pan turn up the heat to get it good and hot.
6. Add the chilli & garlic fry it for few second to release the flavour.
7. Add the chicken in and fry it for 2 minutes until its just cooked through.
8. Add the ingredient for the sauce to the pan, the soy, oyster and fish sauces and the sugar.
7. Add bamboo, spring onion, ginger and water, fry for minutes and serve it.
Hot fragrant rice.
It is better to use bamboo in a can, it is already boiled and as bitter as fresh bamboo shoots.