A spicy parcel of shredded bamboo and flavour mushrooms, steamed in a banana leaf. Bamboo can be very fibrous and hard to eat, for this dish I shred the bamboo with a fork, or grater, so that the fibres are broken up.
50 gms Bamboo (Canned)
50 gms Flavour Mushrooms
5 Red Chillies
10 gms Chopped Lemon Grass
10 gms Sticky Rice
2 Garlic Cloves
4 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Cassava Starch
10 gms Chopped Coriander Leaves
Banana Leaves or Foil for Wrapping
1. Soak the sticky rice in hot water for 20 minutes.
2. Shred or grate the bamboo finely.
3. In a Thai mortar, pound the chillies, sticky rice, lemon grass, and garlic together. You should pound until you have a roughly ground mixture.
4. Mix all the ingredients together with 2 tablespoons of water.
5. Cut the banana leaves into 8x15cm pieces, spoon the mixture into the centre of the banana leaves and fold up the banana into a parcel.
6. Close the parcel with a toothpick, or a stapler, or with cloth string.
7. Steam for 10 minutes.
Thai Fragrant Rice
or Steamed Sticky Rice