I'm learning to bake, you may have noticed a few more baked recipes on my site of late. That's because I've been on courses to learn more about bakery products. This recipe is a chicken pie in a cream sauce wrapped in puff pastry. The trickiest thing here is the puff pastry, so you'll find extensive diagrams on the 'How to make Puff Pastry' page, but you can also just buy ready made! Make a batch of puff pastry using the quantities listed in the puff pastry article, for ready made puff pastry you'll need a couple of packets.
You'll notice the filling has sugar in it, that's typical of baked products in Thailand now, but if you prefer, you can omit it.
Ingredients for Chicken Filling
300 gms Chicken Breast
75 gms Boiling Potatoes
75 gms Chopped Carrots
75 gms Green Peas
50 gms Onion Chopped
2 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
10 gms Sugar
Ingredients for Cream Sauce
50 gms Butter
20 gms Flour
110 ml Carnation Evaporated Milk
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Pepper
1. Prepare the puff pastry first, allow a few hours for this if you're making your own.
2. Chop the vegetables, onion and chicken, to a fine dice size.
3. Prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a sauce over a low heat, add the flow and stir till combined. Add the carnation milk, salt and pepper and stir over the heat until it's thickened and the flour cooked through. This takes a few minutes.
4. Add all the chopped ingredients to the sauce and cook over the low heat until the chicken is cooked.
5. Roll the puff pastry flat, to about 1/8th inch thin (about 30mm). Cut into squares about 4 inches on each side (10cms). The best thing to do is to cut out all the squares you can, then spread the mixture evenly onto them all, otherwise you end up with more pastry than pie filling or more pie filling than pastry.
6. Put a dollop of chicken sauce filling into the center, fold over the corner to the opposite corner to form a triangle. Then cut 3 score markets on the top to let out steam.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 200 degrees celsius, you want to cook the pastry at this point and dry out the sauce a little, the filling is already cooked.