This is quite a time consuming pie to make, but the results are well worth it. The main flavours are chicken and rosemary, with shitake mushrooms, leeks and carrots adding to the bulk. The sauce is made with cream to blend and merge the flavours. In Thailand many people don't eat cream or milk, because they didn't drink milk when they were infants and have lost the enzyme that digests milk. So you may prefer to omit the cream.
1 Whole Chicken
2 Chicken Stock Cubes
2 Sprigs of Rosemary
2 Bay Leaves
200 gms Carrots
200 gms Leeks
4-6 Shitake Mushrooms (Soak for 10 minutes if dried)
Salt to Season
200 ml Single Cream
50 gms Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
Puff Pastry to Cover
1. Start by preparing the chicken rosemary stock. Clean the chicken and remove any innards.
2. Place the chicken in a large boiling pot, with the rosemary, bay leaves, chicken stock cubes and enough water to cover the chicken.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat for 2 hours.
4. Remove the chicken from the stock, shred the meat off the bone and set aside on a plate.
5. Sieve the chicken stock.
6. In a separate pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour until you have a thick paste. This will be used to thicken the sauce.
7. Return the sauce to the pan.
8. Stir in the cream, add salt to taste, then add a little at a time of the flour-butter paste while you heat the sauce until it thickens.
9. Clean and slice the leeks, peel and slice the carrots.
10. I used store bought puff pastry, but you can also make your own pastry.
11. Into a pie dish, place the shredded chicken, carrots, leeks, mushrooms and pour over the cream sauce.
12. Cover with puff pastry, brush with milk or egg and bake at 190 degrees celsius for 40-50 minutes. The chicken is cooked, you only want to cook the pastry and vegetables to finish this pie.