Another pizza with a Thai taste, you can buy a range of pizzas in the big cities now, there's the western ones with Italian toppings, but also there are Thai ones with toppings from traditional Thai cuisine. This one is a fried pork mince and garlic pizza, you could also add Thai basil, the slightly more astringent basil we use, sprinkled over the top at the end.
Since I first made this recipe nearly 6 years ago, Thailand has been overrun with Pizza places, and these Thai pizza versions have almost all gone. Replaced by sweet dough and sweet cheese US style pizzas. It's a pity.
Ingredients for Pizza Base
150 gms Wheat Flour
2 Tablespoons Oil
4 Tablespoons Yeast
1/2 Teaspoons Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
70 ml Water
Ingredients for The Topping
50 gms Pork Mince
4 Garlic Cloves
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Oil
50 gms Grated Cheese (Use a mild flavoured cheese)
1. Mix the yeast with the sugar, salt and water. Leave it for a minute to begin foaming.
2. Add the yeast mix to the flour and oil. Add just enough water to bind it together and knead for a minute to form a solid single piece dough.
3. Set it aside for 30 minutes to rise. To stop a skin forming on the dough, wet a cloth and cover the dough with the damp cloth.
4. Chop the garlic into tiny pieces. Mix with the pork mince, the salt, black pepper, oyster sauce and light sauce sauce.
5. Fry that mixture for 5 minutes until well cooked.
6. Roll the dough out to an approximately 30cm diameter circle.
7. For this recipe we need to part cook the base before the topping is put on, otherwise it will soak up the oil.
8. Heat the oven to 150 Degrees C, and cook the base for 10 minutes, it should not be fully cooked, just dried out and slightly risen.
9. Add the pork mince topping, and the cheese to the pizza. Turn the oven up to 190 degrees and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted. For Thai pizza its common to have the cheese just melted but not browned.
Salad, Garlic bread, treat it like a western pizza!